Friday, October 30, 2009

A Rose by Any Other Name... And, Sick Again? Seriously?

I've caught a cold (or it had better fucking better well be a cold).  Anyways, today was pretty good- sorted out that whole academic dishonesty thing, got some forms signed, felt good about myself.  Thought about how I was feeling good about myself last time I got ill.  Also, I can't get this one dream out of my head.  I dreamed I made a deal with god, or a god, and I can't remember the deal, though I remember the rest of the dream.  Also had a dream while it was raining about my favorite umbrella from England.  Thought that was kinda funny.

Anyways, onto tonight's main topic.  Names.  I think names have some kind of importance- after all, adults spend ages deciding on a name that's just right, considering tradition, history, myth, sound, possible nicknames, etc.  If people didn't feel it was important, we wouldn't bother.  From a psycho-linguistic standpoint, the structure and sound and such of a name are important to our understanding of it as a word.  From an intellectual standpoint, names with stories behind them, reasons for the naming, can have an effect- for example, a fairly rare name from a famous piece of literature will link the person with that piece. This may improve the way that English teachers look upon them in high school, make them feel like they have to live up to the name, etc.  Earlier in the past century, a member of the English government with the same initials and last name as a more senior government official was often mistaken for him and connected with him- this ended up helping his career.  Anyways, see how this thought sits in your mouth- A rose by any other name is not so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment