Saturday, October 17, 2009

All I Can See Are Silhouettes

So I was going to write about something completely different (family weekend maybe?), but when I logged in, I saw that I have some kind of generic silhouette as my image.  So then I start thinking "Do I want to change that?"  Except, I then thought that the silhouette kinda looks like me.  And I'm lazy, so I hesitated, hoping I could convince myself that the silhouette is a good representation.  And then I thought that the silhouette kinda looks like everyone.  And now I'm thinking about silhouettes as a reflection on reality, humanity.  Silhouettes to me represent just the surface of an image, it's lossy compression to the most simplistic rendering possible.  And as far as I can tell, most of us go through life seeing silhouettes.  We ignore the depth of people, seeing just their public persona's, an outline of their personality that completely fails to capture coloring and detail.  But this isn't the real tragedy.

The real tragedy lies in the similarity of snowflakes.  Ever hear that saying, that everyone's unique, just like snowflakes?  Well, have you ever noticed a real difference in snowflakes, beyond size and maybe, if you particularly like snowballs, stickiness?  No, of course not.  And so with people.  Most (I'd guess around 85%) people go through life and they are boring.  They are a silhouette compared to someone truly interesting.  Their personality is predictable and pedestrian, they define themselves not through their own views but the views of others.  They are, in a word, sheeple.  And the tragedy is that they are happy to so remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment