Friday, October 16, 2009

My first post...

Wow... this feels really strange. Talking to a computer, some faceless audience instead of a friend. I suppose some introductions are in order- I'm Oscar, and this is my Rag on Reality. I'm a student suffering from terminal ennui, and I'll be writing on whatever currently has my interest. Current topics include: art and aesthetics, identity, the habits of humanity. I'll put out any thoughts that strike me as interesting- feel free to agree, disagree, or just be ambivalent.


So, now that that's out of the way... Tonight, my friend D. said something that I thought was pretty interesting at dinner. We were talking (ok, ok, gossiping) about a mutual friend and whether he's having bit of an identity crisis, and meandered over to the topic of self-identity. Basically, how you define yourself. So here's a recap of the conversation.

D: I base my self-opinion on others' opinions of me... You can't maintain objectivity on yourself.
Me: Wait a sec, what? Are you serious?
L: Ya, that's totally what I do too.
Me: Alright, K, what do you think?
K: I don't get that. My opinion's all that really matters. You know yourself way better than others can know you.
Me: I totally agree with K.

Anyways, this then descends into D and L unable to shift K or me, and vice versa. After we paid the bill and left the restaurant, K and I have a little mutter fest (well, a fairly loud, longish mutter fest), and I assume L and D did too. So, here's the doggie bag of thought I took back from the restaurant: Is your opinion what matters, or do you define yourself through the thoughts of others?

- Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment