Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mental Masturbation

So I have way more work than I want to.  And I didn't really know what I wanted to write about today.  Thinking about it, I realized that I'd spent the day avoiding as much work as possible by daydreaming.  I wasn't even particularly creative.  I generated a bunch of writing which I'm not sure is crap, or acceptable, or steps in the right direction that I'll eventually come back to at the end and fix in some sort of weird snake-eating-its-own-tail kind of way.

Anyways, all of that was just mental masturbation.  I was thinking, even arguably being creative, but not in any kind of useful way.  In fact, I was (more-or-less) purposefully useless, applying my mental energies to meaningless self-satisfaction rather than writing, say, my aesthetics paper.  And writing this is making me think about Freud and his "Relation of the Poet to Daydreaming" and now I really am filled with self loathing because I'm fulfilling his expectations and I hate his take on aesthetics and art- he made useful contributions, but he's totally out-dated and my beliefs towards art involve something deeper and almost religious.  Anyways, this blog was born of mental masturbation and continues as an expression of it- I just hope that I can garner something useful from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment